Monday 10 June 2013

Too Sleepy

      Waking up with 15 minutes to get ready Steph and I overslept and didn't have time to shower or eat. We raced to the lobby and met our group, not feeling 100%. We took the no-so-friendly subway of NYC traditional transit to CBS Radio. There we met so-in-so who gave us amazing insight on the radio aspect of media, and the audience; radio isn't dead.




                 



A few shots of CBS Radio and Lee Harris working his magic in the studio


      After leaving this building I stuffed a few fries in my mouth and the group slit in two. Five of us went with Kathy and Kimberly to see ground zero. Emotional I was, just buying tickets I shed tears. We walked to St. Paul's Cathedral where Steph and I prayed (not at all religious, this felt meaningful to me). A few blocks away was Ground Zero. I was personally disgusted by the people who basically thought it was an attraction and not a memorial sight. People was smiling, taking selfies of themselves in front of the memorial. I felt awful, it was disrespectful. I am so glad I was able to see this site, now, after so long of just hearing about it and watching documentaries. Although I don’t have a direct connection I don’t think its required in this case.

 Images of the memorial



Beautiful water falls running below ground level where the towers once stood.








 


Only a few names of the many that were there, I did not even feel right taking these pictures, but I learned that the memorial grouped the names of friends and family together instead of alphabetically which is what the original idea had been. 



      After this emotional tour we went with Kathy and Kimberly to the Staten Island Fairy to see the Statue of Liberty. 

      Before we got to the Ferry we stopped for a quick bite to eat, but not feeling too hungry Steph, Mel and I explored the streets close to where the rest of our group was eating. On the street we found a man who had two snakes wrapped around his neck. Of course we were interested so I struck up a conversation and he explained that his two friends were Roxanne and Paulo. He offered us to hold them, and I, being the only brave one decided "why not?!" He passed me Roxanne and I wore her like a scarf around my neck. I smiled for a picture but was freaking out on the inside. 
















Roxanne and I in NY!!

      On the ferry I thought "not an amazing experience" it was quite distant from the statue of Liberty but it was still pretty cool. I snapped a few photos none that were too great. Kept thinking I was in the movie National Treasure with Nicholas cage which was a fun idea haha. Either way the ferry was fun and the view of NY was very pretty.


 Staten Island/Ian Being a Pro



My not so fantastic picture of the beautiful statue.



 


 






A few random shots on and of the ferry (which as a bonus was free!!).








This image looked like a diorama to me and it made it feel so surreal.


      Back to the hotel with Steph and Ian on the subway we needed. Again, the subways here are not nice at all, even less appealing then the TTC. On this particular train we were on a hunchback women got pretty aggresive to another passenger, a girl standing behind this women was using her cellphone and the older women began yelling at her to get the technology away, she swated the phone in the girls hands, and kicked the girl in the shin. The girl on the cellphone was taken aback but simply asked the women if she was alright... I was a bit nervous to exit the train while my camera was around my neck but she keot to herself as we all left the subway. 

      At the hotel we were able to shower, something I hadn't done all day! It felt good to be a clean person again for the evening. Food time? Maybe. Today I can be a fatty ;)  Olive Garden it is! Megan, Steph, Daniel, Mel and I made our way back to time square to find an Olive Garden. This is a restaurant only in the States, and is similar to East Side Mario's. There was unlimited bread sticks and salad which we all demolished and all of us thoroughly enjoyed our pasta dishes. Dreading the walk back with our stomachs feeling massive we made our way back to the hotel at nightfall and literally put ourselves in a coma at the hotel. 

 


Before and After. I think I really enjoyed this meal ;) Chicken and shrimp in alfredo pasta with bacon on top. Totally worth every penny! 




No comments:

Post a Comment